Fernando: I want to learn from Chelsea Matic

Manchester City midfielder Fernando has admitted he wants to learn from Nemanja Matic as the pair prepare to do battle when Chelsea host the Premier League champions on Saturday.

Matic has been instrumental in helping Jose Mourinho's side establish a five-point lead over City at the top of the table, with the former Benfica man flourishing alongside Cesc Fabregas.

And Fernando, whose own defensive midfield role is similar to the one Matic performs in west London, believes watching the Serbia international will make him a better player.

"It’s a specific position and one that is really important for every team all over the world," he told reporters.

"I played against Matic in Portugal several times and he is a really great player. He has so much quality.

"There are not many players like him left now, I think, but he is one I try to look at and learn from as I try to improve the way I play that role. He has become incredibly important to Chelsea. I always try to watch these players."

The ex-Porto man has struggled for consistency since moving to the Etihad Stadium during the summer, though a lenghty injury lay-off early in his City career meant he was unable to establish himself in the opening months of the campaign.

But the former Brazil Under-20 international believes he is now somewhere close to his best, though he concedes adapting to the English game has proved difficult.

"It’s always hard to start a life in a new country, changing places and cultures," he added.

"You are trying to adapt on the pitch and away from it, and with things like the language, that is always quite difficult.

"I’ve been here six or seven months now, though, and I’m starting to find a bit of continuity in my work and getting used to things.

"Players here are always running. It is a very physical, very strong sort of football.

"It is very intense and I have suffered a bit because of that as I try to adapt."

Fernando: I want to learn from Chelsea Matic Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Unknown